Friday, August 22, 2008

Little India ..a different singapore

I've been experimenting with street photos lately and posted a few in this blog. But I just realized I haven't post my Little India street photos to this blog. (Thanks Gyit Tu for her interest in the street photos).

Street photography seems to me like the hardest and most under-rated photography. You can expect certain shots but you can hardly plan anything. And most of all, you need to be more intrusive/closer to get a good perspective .. and yet find your way out without much troubles in this crowded little island.
I went to Little India on Sunday a few weeks back with my friends Zaw Zaw and Nay Naing to take some street shots. It's a totally different part of Singapore. Different buildings , different shops and different faces roam the streets of Little India on Sunday.

Most Bangladeshis workers come here to hang out, buy things and meet friend in this area on Sundays. And almost all of them don't mind taking pictures of them.. In fact, some even asked me to take their photo even though they knew that they cant get the picture back.

Is it culture related? Metropolitans are more concerned on the privacy I guess.

Well..
Here are some of the photos I take. As usual, some are good , some are average, But I hope as a whole series of pictures, I try to capture the mood and culture of the Little India on Sunday.

You be the judge If i successfully captured it.
(These photos are best viewed in Slide show mode)
click here for the whole series.

P.S. For the gearheads, I brought 4 lens with my EOS 5D. (EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35mm f/2, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0). Most are shot with 35/2 but I made some interesting shots with both 100/2 and 20-35mm. Night shots are mostly shot at ISO1600 and some are ISO3200 mostly shot wide open as I love the DOF.





No comments: