Monday, August 6, 2007

580ex , 430ex, ST-E2 and outdoor shoot

As I mentioned in my previous post, I really wanted to know how 580ex , ST-E2 and infra-red ETTL will work in daylight situation. And I also wanna learn how lighting ratio will help me get nice photos. Lucky me.. Today, my colleague Matt lend me a 580ex to play with and I am a one happy cat.

I just couldnt wait but asked my friend and colleague Pete to pose for me.. We just headed to the car park at the back of the office. I setup my camera in Aperture priority mode. Set my 430ex in Gropu B , ETTL mode. Set 580ex in Group A, ETTL mode too. And then set my ST-E2 to use Lighting ratio 2:1 (more on Group A, 580ex). Lastly, I set my camera exposure compensation to -2 stop to get underexposed background effect like you seen in the pics..


That's it for the settings.. then I placed 580ex on a platfrom 1' above the ground on camera right.. and holding 430ex on my left hand stretched as far as I can ...
Shooting is easy.. all done in less than 15 minute.. no hassle of adjusting flash outputs and apreture to get proper flash exposure.. All handled by ETTL.. and I still have control by using flash exposure compensation and lighting ratio on ST-E2. So.. I am really pleased.. And they worked so well that it even looks like they are photoshopped inside on a blue screen background. It will be better with proper light stand and umbrellas may be..
Except out of 10 or so shots, flash didn't fire on 3. that mean 70% working.. It could be that both flashed are almost 180' on the side and lost line of sight on that occasion. I think it can be avoided with proper placement of flashes.



even though the flash didn't fire.. the silhouette turned out interesting.

Man.. now I am itchy for 580ex.
Thanks to Pete and Matt for making this shoot possible..

No comments: